Birthday’s mean baking – my favorite de-stresser, procrastination technique and overall activity. So, when my cousin was coming to NYC to celebrate her Sweet 16 my baking brainstorming began. I thought what better than some elegant Tiffany themed cupcakes to celebrate this special birthday!
It was just going to be my cousin, aunt and mom and I knew we would be doing a lot of dining around NYC, so I wanted to make a small batch. This recipes only yields 12 regular size cupcakes or, conveniently, 16 smaller cupcakes for the Sweet 16!
Buttery Vanilla Cupcakes
Yield: 12 regular cupcake, 16 small cupcakes
3/4 cups all purpose flour
1/8 cup vanilla malted milk powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
2 egg whites
3 tsp vanilla extract (If you have vanilla bean paste, do half that and half extract)
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Whisk together flour, malted milk powder, sugar, baking soda and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
3. Add butter, egg whites, vanilla, sour cream and milk and mix on medium speed just until just smooth.
4. Fill cupcake liners a little more than half way.
5. Bake 12-16 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean and almost no browning has occurred.
6. Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes, then remove to cooling rack to finish cooling.
Tiffany Blue Buttercream
Yield: Enough to frost about 16 small cupcakes
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 pound confectioner’s sugar
3 tbsp whole milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract
Turquoise gel paste color
1. Whip the butter with a paddle attachment until smooth, soft and creamy
2. Add half the confectioner’s sugar and milk and mix at a low speed until smooth. Be careful or the confectioner’s sugar will fly everywhere.
3. Slowly alternate adding the rest of the confectioner’s sugar and milk until smooth and the desired consistency is reached. Depending on the humidity, you may need to add a little more milk to to get the consistency you want – add it slowly though.
4. Once the frosting is the desired consistency, add the vanilla extract.
5. Add the gel paste with 3 drops at a time until the desired color is reached – Tiffany Blue. (I used about 10 drops)
Assembling the Cupcakes:
1. Put all cupcakes onto a sheet tray or plate.
2. Fill a pastry bag with the icing.
3. Pipe a circle up to a point to frost each cupcake.
4. Sprinkle with silver sprinkles